FreeSwitch Directory and Lua

I’ve had occasion to play around with FreeSwitch lately and was looking at implementing a directory of extensions on the main menu, and so I set up Brian Snipes’ example Lua directory from the FreeSwitch wiki. I didn’t like the fact that the extension list was hardcoded, so I replaced the names{} table with the following bit of code. It’s ugly, but it’s my first 2-3 hours of messing with Lua. Anyway, it basically makes a system call to “grep” to pull the extensions out of your FS directory XML files using the effective_caller_id_* values which you may or may not have in each listing in the directory. Maybe this will help someone avoid having to reinvent the wheel completely.

Note: this presumes that each entry in the directory lives in its own users_[firstinitial][lastname].xml file. For example, I have users_nsimpson.xml containing the following two lines:

<variable name="effective_caller_id_name" value="Nate Simpson"/>
<variable name="effective_caller_id_number" value="1000"/>

You can hack the following code to match the particulars of your own installation. Also, I think string.gfind() has become string.gmatch() in Lua 5.1, so you may need to tweak that as well.

-- NS: build the names table from grep
directory_path = "/usr/local/freeswitch/conf/directory/default/"

namesearch = io.popen("grep effective_caller_id_ "..directory_path.."user_*.xml")
namelist = namesearch:read("*a")

names = {}

for thisuser, thisname in string.gfind(namelist, "user_(%a+)\.xml:%s+

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *